Tips to Properly Using Surgical Masks
October 14, 2020
With all that is going on in our country in terms of combatting COVID-19, and now the incoming flu season, wearing surgical masks has become a commonality. It’s comforting that members of our communities are being responsible if they venture out when they are ill, or that they are being proactive in avoiding spreading illness even when they aren’t unwell. If you take advantage of the added protection of surgical masks, here are a few tips on how to correctly handle them!
- Wash your hands before handling the mask.
- Handle the mask by the ear loops to avoid germs that have collected on the outside of the mask when dirty, and to avoid soiling a clean mask with dirty hands.
- Read supplier directions on the masks box. For most brands, a hint is that the colored side of the mask is supposed to face outward.
- Place the metallic band at the bridge of the nose, bending to conform to the bridge of the nose
- The mask should cover from the bridge of the nose down over the mouth and the chin.
- Most masks should not be reused. Dispose of and/or replace masks throughout the day if they get soiled or damaged.
If you aren’t feeling well our centers are here to help! Our urgent care centers are open every day of the week 8:00 am to 8:00 pm- No appointment necessary! Our centers offer flu shots, flu testing, and COVID19 testing. To be seen by a provider, simply walk in, or save your spot online by clicking here. For more information on using time-saving E-registration click here. We look forward to helping you Get Better. Faster!